CORE trips to South, Fall Ball 2015 to come

Category:  News
Wednesday, November 4th, 2015 at 8:59 PM

At Monday night’s EUSGA meeting, two CORE representatives presented their spring break trip to congress and Alpha Kappa Lambda proposed Fall Ball 2015.

During this upcoming 2016 spring break, CORE requested funds to go on a trip to both Tennessee and North Carolina with 12 students to partake in an array of adventurous and educational activities.

The activities in Tennessee include white water rafting, horseback riding, mountain biking and paintball; of which students will vote and make a decision on which activities will and will not be done.

Both a zip lining tour and a climbing trip await them when they arrive in North Carolina.

The CORE organization has taken this trip with students for the past six years, all of which had full attendance.

In addition to the benefits CORE believes attendees will reap from taking this trip, it is also an “alcohol free environment.”

Although CORE is holding the trip, it is open to all students who would like to attend.

After discussion among congress, EUSGA allotted the organization a total of $3,758.46 to take their trip this spring.

Alpha Kappa Lambda requested a donation from EUSGA to hold a Fall Ball this 2015 academic year in Gymnasium B of the Pogue Student Center.

Member George Katsadas urged congress to understand their event wasn’t only for the benefit of their organization, but for the opportunities other organizations will have to benefit as well.

He referred to it as a “huge recruitment event,” so that more than just Greek life is open to attend and spread the word about their organizations while “enjoying themselves at the dance as well.”

The funds raised by Alpha Kappa Lambda that night will be split up, so that 75 percent will go directly towards their philanthropies — domestic violence and cystic fibrosis — and the other 25 percent will go towards recruitment efforts.

However, this fraternity is currently in jeopardy of losing their official recognition if they do not attend a Nov. 11 meeting, appealing the failure to meet officially recognized organization requirements.

This fraternity also recently was approved for a loan of $1,000.

After much discussion among congress, the motion was passed to approve the fraternity of their originally requested $1,442 to hold their Fall Ball, as long as they forfeit their recently approved loan and attend the Nov. 11 meeting, in order to appeal their potential loss of recognition.

To end the meeting, EUSGA held a postHalloween costume contest, having congress dress up one last time for the holiday. The winner was congress member Shawn Pelc.

Shaylee Dillen is a Senior Staff Writer for The Spectator.

View Our YouTube Channel
Edinboro TV
 
Find Us on Instagram