Fighting Scots ground Golden Eagles in win on Saturday

Category:  Sports
Wednesday, February 21st, 2018 at 7:09 PM
Fighting Scots ground Golden Eagles in win on Saturday by Madi Gross
Photo: Hannah McDonald

The Edinboro men’s basketball team picked up a 86-78 win over Clarion University on Saturday. This victory secured them a home PSAC playoff game.

Fighting Scot Jaymon Mason opened the scoring in the first half, and soon after, Anthony Coleman would score two points of his own. Clarion’s Khari Williams would score their first points of the game with a little over 18 minutes left in the first half. 

With a little under 16 minutes left, Brandon Williams made a 3-pointer that gave Clarion a 5-4 lead. Mason responded with a jumper less than 20 seconds later. A turnover by Clarion’s Brandon Williams led to a steal by Mason and a fast-break layup by Mike Beck. 

In the next 4 minutes of play, Edinboro’s Jack Frank would convert a layup and Clarion’s Cameron Grumley would go on a 12-point run all by himself before his teammate Kuante’ Sargent would sink a 3-pointer of his own. A 3-point shot from Mason broke the Clarion point streak. 

A Beck 3-pointer at the 9:18 mark was quickly answered with a 3-point shot from Sargent, and a foul by RJ Laugand put Edinboro’s Keshawn Liggins at the line for two to cut Clarion’s lead to 10.

Coming off a media timeout, Coleman immediately sank a 3-point shot. 

Later on, with 1:10 left on the clock, Sargent took and made a 3-pointer, which Liggins answered with one of his own with 6 seconds left in the half.

At the start of the second, Mason was called for a foul, putting Brandon Williams at the line for two. This would be the first of many fouls in the second half of the game. 

Less than a minute later, Brandon Williams was fouled, putting Coleman at the line for two. A 3-point shot broke the streak of fouls for a few minutes until Watson was called for another to put Liggins at the line once again. 

With 13:49 left on the clock, Edinboro’s Trey Staunch found himself at the line, and with his two converted free throws, the score sat at 53-47 with Clarion clinging to the lead. Then, with less than 12 minutes left, Grumley was called for a foul, which put Staunch at the line for another two. Less than a minute after that, a foul called on Craft put Mason at the line.

Clarion led 56-54 when Watson threw down a dunk to widen their lead, but two 3-point shots by Coleman and Mason would put Edinboro in the lead, 60-58. Clarion’s Grumley quickly put up a layup to tie the score back up, but Staunch would counter with a layup of his own almost immediately after. He also drew a foul call as he went up for the layup, which put him at the line for the “and-one.”

Coleman widened the gap in Edinboro’s favor with another 2 points, which Clarion answered with a layup of their own by Brandon Williams. A foul called almost immediately after that put Mason at the line for two. In the next 2 minutes, points by Mason Mraz and Khari Williams left Edinboro leading 67-65. 

With a foul called on Grumley, Liggins was put at the line for two, after which points from Jaryn Simpson and Liggins brought the score to 72-65. After a foul called on Mraz put Liggins at the line again, Mason would follow with a 3-point shot for Edinboro and Watson would respond with 2 points for Clarion. 

The teams combined for eight fouls in just the final 2 minutes of the game. With 14 seconds left on the clock, Grumley scored the game’s last 2 points to bring the score to 86-78.

Liggins recorded 22 points, Coleman scored 17 and Mason added 22. 

The Fighting Scots will take a 16-8 overall record and a 13-7 conference record back on the road Wednesday when they take on Indiana University of Pennsylvania. On Saturday at 3 p.m., the team will return home to McComb Fieldhouse to face Mercyhurst University, where the seniors of the team will be honored.

Madi Gross can be reached at

View Our YouTube Channel
Edinboro TV
Find Us on Instagram